Quirkes medical hall has been in establishment since 1830. P.J. Carragher Snr. came to Tullamore in 1933 and was known in the town as the pharmacist, doctor and the vet, he handed the business down to his son Paddy in 1973.
The medical hall is one of the longest standing shops in Tullamore having commenced trading in 1832. P.J. Carragher purchased the business from the previous owner Mrs. Quirke in 1945, and worked in the pharmacy until 1989. For all those years he lived with his wife Louisa over the shop in High Street.
The medical hall has seen many renovations over the course of the Carraghers ownership. In 1957 PJ carried out a major renovation including a new shop front and striking terrazzo floors with mahogany cabinets. After paddy took over in 1975, the size of the shop was doubled in 1978 with major renovations taking place.
Further renovations were carried out by Paddy in 1989 and 2006 which have transformed Quirkes Medical Hall into the spacious contemporary shop we all know today.